Mega Man 5, released in December of 1992, is probably the origin of all the "Proto Man is evil!" nonsense, as the story
involved Proto Man supposedly taking over the world with eight robots. Of course, it's really
Dr. Wily again. The fifth installment of the original Mega Man series is noted for its
substandard music and for the introduction of Beat, a powerful robotic bird that proved
itself highly useful against the final boss.
- Best time: single-segment 0:44:12 by Josh Styger on 2008-01-09.
- Best time, European version: single-segment 0:51:24 by Freddy Andersson on 2006-02-01.
Return to the Game List, the FAQ, or the Home Page.
Single-segment 0:44:12 by Josh Styger.
Get Flash to see this player.
- Gravity Man - When I try to slide upside down I will sometimes jump instead causing me to get hit unintentionally.
- Gyro Man - I played it safe with the stomping robot and waited for his second jump to slide under him because I had been having bad luck with that part.
- Crystal Man - Stage went pretty good but I Didn't do so well on Crystal Man as I missed two gyro attacks.
- Stone Man - I found that the fastest way to do this level is to just get hit by everything then pass it. However there are some enemies that are faster to jump over but unfortunately for me I didn't make any of the jumps resulting in very low health for the last few enemies so I had to stop and destroy them first before moving on.
- Charge Man - In the part where I use the Super Arrow getting hit by that train happens about 90% of the time, no big loss though it only costs about 2 seconds. The part right after that where I switch to Gyro Attack didn't go as smoothly as usual resulting in taking unintentional damage.
- Protoman Stage 1 - Like in Gyro Man's stage I use Super Arrow and grab the free energy refill so that I can use it again.
- Protoman Stage 4 - Here it is, the worst part of the entire run, my fight with Darkman robot. I lost about 15 seconds on him because I couldn't get the right timing of his shields. I'm very disappointed with this especially since I usually do great against him.
- Wily Stage 1 - I grab the M-tank so I can use another Super Arrow. When I use the Super Arrow in this stage I go three arrows up when I should have only done two, I wasn't sure how many arrows to go up because I hadn't practiced this level much.
- Wily Stage 2 - For me this is definitely the hardest level to run in MMV. Starting off I grab the M-tank so I can use another Super Arrow. In the underwater part I played it safe and didn't slide as much as I could have because usually if I did decide to slide as much as possible I'd end up sliding right off the edge. Again from lack of practice I screw up the Super Arrow in this level but like the last one it only cost about a second or two. I consider this boss the hardest in the game but it went pretty good.
- Wily Stage 3 - I grab the M-tank at the start so I can refill Super Arrow for the 2nd last boss. I aced Crystal Man this time but not so much with Napalm Man and Charge Man. I don't use Star Crash on Wily because I found it was too inconsistent to hit him with.
- Wily Stage 4 - I don't use beat for Wily because it's much slower compared to the M. Buster, not to mention the time it takes to get all the letters to make beat. I got pretty lucky with Wily's placements and I also managed to hit him for four damage every time so that was good.
The biggest improvements that can be made for this run are the Darkman robot fight, and Wily Stage 2.
Thanks to Freddy Andersson for his speed run which taught me some things.
Also thanks to Baxter for his tas which showed me some great ways to use different powers among other things.
Also thanks to Radix, Nate, Mike Uyama, and DJGrenola for doing what they do for SDA.
European version single-segment: 0:51:24 by Freddy Andersson.
Both my Mega man 4 and 5 run should have been up much earlier. But
I was a little bit tired of the mega man games for a while and had other
stuff to do.
It's nice to have done all the Mega man games i could do on PAL version and I
will now take a break and in the near future try to do the other mega man
games on the US version.
- no deaths.
- no E-tanks (except a L tank)
- beat my own record by at least 2 minutes.
Biggest thanks to Mikael Sjöberg who I borrowed the game from in months.
This game is a little bit tricky to find here in Sweden.
And as always thanks to Nate and Radix (keep up the good work)
Also thanks to the TASers for a couple of tricks I disn't used before.
Im not going to do comments for all stages but here is some..
My route is to begin with Star man becuse that I got the super arrow wich I
use in many stages. The Star man stage is also one of the hardest and bad to
speedrun. But I did it very good.
I use the start button on charge man to get away with the damm stones that
flyes around me. I save a lot of time and can beat the boss much easier that way.
The biggest mistakes I did in this run was the beginning of gravity mans
stage. It doesn't look good when I did many smaller mistakes And there was a
place from the cossak or wiley stage I wasn't happy with. Also when I felled
down from a plattform in the stone man stage.
The hard things in the run:
Star man stage
The pink robot in the gyro stage
Take "G" in the gyro stage
The falling crystals in the crystal stage
Jump under the missiles in the Napalm stage
Charge man himself
Wave man - to have much energy left to the boss (that's why I catched som
energy before him in the run)
The water place in some of the wiley stages.
And to beat the final bosses without use a E-tank.
/Swedish gamer, Freddy Andersson
Return to the Game List, the FAQ, or the Home Page.