Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
JessePosted - 2 October 2001 7:26 PST
For a possible future (speedrunning) map, I'd like to know which tricks you'd like to see implemented. I'm sure everyone would enjoy some never-before seen trick, but I can imagine some already discovered tricks are more popular than others. So just to give me an idea, please let me know which is your means of choice to abuse yourself in the land of Quake to gain speed....
HanzPosted - 2 October 2001 11:20 PST
Here's a (very hard to execute) trick idea: you have to drop a grenade off of a ledge, then go after it and when it explodes in mid-air, you will get a small push that will throw you through some nearby window ;). Yea, I haven't seen anyone using that kind of a grenade push in mid-air.

Edited by - Hanz on 10/2/2001 11:22:19 AM

ShamblerPosted - 2 October 2001 11:59 PST
What sort of tricks??

Well, tricks that haven't been thought of by the mapper...

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler - it's Quake single player, bitches.

messiahPosted - 3 October 2001 7:29 PST
i like LONG grenade jumps like ilkka's rd2 demo =)
or why not some cool voreball jumps ;-)

All your demos are belong to us!

JessePosted - 3 October 2001 7:34 PST
Messiah>> Well then I guess where tricks are concerned I made both Shambler and you happy with rd1m2, since I never intended that particular jump to be possible :)
RollePosted - 3 October 2001 7:50 PST
Long/high jumps are allways impressive..

the spikemine-jump in hip3m1 is an golden example :)

/showdown

NagasakiPosted - 3 October 2001 11:04 PST
Personally, I enjoy jumps which make use of air-control most, like a curled grenadejump, or a perfectl "aimed" g+rjump and stuff... but also without the use of explosives, if necessary ;)

[AK]NagasakeY 2001
http://www.PlanetQuake.com/Illmind/

HanzPosted - 4 October 2001 7:05 PST
>>the spikemine-jump in hip3m1 is an golden example :)

oh yes, that jump was simply beautiful. My jaw dropped ten feet below floor level when I first saw it

orbsPosted - 4 October 2001 10:38 PST
i like non liniar maps most, i like it aswell when someone finds out a trick (lets say some1 jumps on a box the rj's to somewhere)and then someone else does the "same" trick without using that box but maybe a double rj or whatever
amrikPosted - 18 October 2001 19:42 PST
doublejumps that provide faster access to secrets?

- Amrik
amrikkochhar@hotmail.com

SnooPPosted - 27 October 2001 5:39 PST
I found a very cool trick.
This one works on a map called 'spring cleaning', part of the first 100brush competition.
there are two ogres on the ground. What happens is you chuck a grenade up in the air, do a grenade jump off the first ogre to catch up to the grenade you just threw. Then use that to do a double grenade jump off the second ogre. I got a demo of the level doing that (with HFR cos its so damm hard to do) in 6.1 seconds.
timPosted - 27 October 2001 18:28 PST
you seem to make a few of these HFR demos, maybe you should make a collection of them :)
i tried HFR once but it was soooo boring, much better trying to play with host_framerate 5 :)
minwaterPosted - 29 October 2001 0:15 PST
or a quadded (pent) double grenade rocket jump off a spawn. could get you really high.
It's not usefull, but it looks cool =]
orbsPosted - 6 November 2001 2:56 PST
snoop you just need 1 ogre for that.. using that technigue you could even do triple grenade jumps on shambs/fiend wizz's (1 lobbed in the air landing on it's haed 1 via a wall one direct hit...and of you go..

What i think that would be a cool trick is if you would get a fiend to jump into a pushtrigger (like you can get on e3m5 at the q area) then get a fiend push in midair

SnooPPosted - 7 November 2001 14:28 PST
This trick is a bit different to what you might be thinking, the double grenade jump is done in the air (on top of the second ogre).