Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
leekwenPosted - 18 October 2001 14:13 PST
First I find the download links don't work, then I find I have to download the entire package instead of just the demos I have the maps for, then dzip doesn't work when extracting dzips within dzips...

What the hell?! I'm being punished!

StubbyPosted - 18 October 2001 14:44 PST
Blame the downloads on GameSpy!

The dz files seems to be working just fine. I can easily extract a dz file from within another dz file. Maybe you should upgrade your Dzip version to the newest one. Quite a few people has been having trouble opening new dz files with an older version of the program.

- The axe swinging master -

amrikPosted - 18 October 2001 19:31 PST
Yes this is quite true. Dzip 2.3 and earlier had that problem, I think (nolan??). But 2.6 works just fine.

- Amrik
amrikkochhar@hotmail.com

leekwenPosted - 19 October 2001 8:25 PST
I'm using dzip 2.5 for DOS. I refuse to use the windows version as it magically added entries into my registry without my permission (the first time I used it anyway). I couldn't get it to stop and it was so annoying...

Why the hell isn't the command line version up to date anyway?

RadixPosted - 19 October 2001 13:01 PST
Well 'leekwen', how many windows programs have you seen that *ask your permission* before writing stuff in the registry?!? None or very few I think. The only things it writes is associations for the explorer and shell extension, plus *gasp* saved settings for the program! That's what the registry is for you know.

As for the DOS version not working to extract dz from dz... well it works for me.

leekwenPosted - 19 October 2001 16:16 PST
It seems to extract the first dz and hang after that.

I use 'dzip -x file.dz', am I doing something wrong?