Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
minwaterPosted - 27 November 2001 10:47 PST
Why can't you do the "cheap way" ?
isn't the other way simply the LONG WAY ?
i mean, e2m1 is allowed to do fast.

I did a 5 sec's on easy and 6 sec's on hard, wanted to enter them and saw to my great dissapointment that it isn't allowed, could someone please explain why?

timPosted - 27 November 2001 16:07 PST
i think nolan thru most of those cheap ways out one day and wanted the LONG demos, then the cheaps were added too, maybe you should have made the demos before that day :)
Fr3nPosted - 27 November 2001 22:33 PST
can there really be that much improvement to the cheap way? if so, might as well leave it open and it'll be optimized soon enough :)

http://www.suspenlute.com/teamfern --- ;)

JozsefPosted - 28 November 2001 3:24 PST
What is that 'cheap way'???
JozsefPosted - 28 November 2001 3:29 PST
Holy shit!
Damn sorry, Stubby, delete this shit if you want...
JozsefPosted - 28 November 2001 7:48 PST
So, Rutger, how do you mean 'cheap way'?
SnooPPosted - 28 November 2001 16:07 PST
The cheap way is doing a slope jump up to the wall to the left of where you start, then walking along it, which allows you to get to the exit it 5 seconds or so.
minwaterPosted - 30 November 2001 11:10 PST
I didn't call it the cheap way, I think it's a great way! =]
That's the whole point of SPEED running, isn't it? eventhough some of the tricks are lame as it is, but that's the same as throwing out e2m1_007 because it's "too fast"
or other speedruns because they are not "spectacular" enough.
The point of running a map in the first place is to get to the EXIT-sign (and beyond) ASAP. isn't it?
so why discard a fast route because it's "cheap" ?
adding long runs is cool, because it gives more running possibilities, and more tricks can be done.
I really must dissaprove about the tohnsay thing. As long as improvements are possible, why not make them ? eventhough they are not as spectacular as others, the cheap way IS the fastest way, and therefore THE speedrun.

HA..

muhaahaha

btw.. why doesn't SDA recieve my demo's ?

HanzPosted - 30 November 2001 13:31 PST
Btw, tohnsay already has a 6 sec cheap nightmare run (check the bottom of the page for cheap records). But sure that 5 sec easy would've been an improvement to the current 6 sec so it's weird they didn't accept it. After all, eg. Coagula3 has a cheap way (4 seconds) but they haven't disabled it the same way.. (although I know no one could improve those 4 sec runs :) )
minwaterPosted - 3 December 2001 2:31 PST
Btw.. I did tohnsay in 5, and I think it's possible in 4.
since I did it in 5.69, and it could be tweaked.. I'm not sure though
minwaterPosted - 4 December 2001 1:56 PST
hmm.. I'm not jozsef.. though I'd like to be.. =]

and I I don't know why sda doesn't recieve my demo's, but thanks for the dis =[

amrikPosted - 4 December 2001 14:28 PST
Did the NR in 0:05 too. But I don't think I am the first :(.

- Amrik
amrikkochhar@hotmail.com

minwaterPosted - 8 December 2001 9:32 PST
weird that nobody found this out before.