Speed Demos Archive
Archived Quake Message board
In use until September 2003
Author Topic
Fr3nPosted - 29 January 2002 10:14 PST
I've been told the motion in my unfiltered demos looks "jerky." After recording a few with m_filter 1 (and getting better times) I can sort of see what this means.

But why does Basil's pris_026 look like the point of view shifts in degrees of ten or something? For example, when he approaches the silver trapdoor after grabbing the gold key, the balcony to the left just jumps into view, you can't see the point of view actually turning that way.

That's weird. And jerky. Was the demo recorded with an alternate FOV setting or something?

minwaterPosted - 29 January 2002 23:51 PST
I don't know if this is what you mean, because I haven't seen the demo (I don't have the map.. ARGH!) But it sounds like something I always do.
I use a normal mouse, and when I come to the end of the pad I pick up the mouse and put it down on the middle of the pad again.
In the demos this shows as a little tremble / shock in FOV.
Changing the POV but so fast you can't see the movement..

But that's probably not what you ment.. ;)

and now morfans should say:

"Min. I think you've missed the obvious here."

;P

- (c) Mineraal Water 2002 -
35% reduction on cave insurance deductibles!

VerorberaarPosted - 30 January 2002 2:27 PST
Ok i'll explain something here:
first of all no mineraalwater you got it all wrong (obvious!) when you use a trackball there is no such thing as end of pad! :P
Fr3nPosted - 30 January 2002 3:24 PST
And also it would be kind of silly if you performed such a manoeuvre in the middle of each bunnyhop =)
KenPosted - 30 January 2002 9:08 PST
People who use low sensitivities have that problem. I can turn just fine, and I dont do it in the middle of a bunnyhop, of course, but sometimes, if I have to turn 270 or 360 degrees, I then pick up the moust and put it in the middle of the mousepad. :)

We live, as we dream - alone.

minwaterPosted - 30 January 2002 23:49 PST
I have sensitivity 7. so keep on rollin' ;)

btw.. how does everybody keep his mouse clean.. I really have to clean it every 5 minutes... *grin* ..

- (c) Mineraal Water 2002 -
35% reduction on cave insurance deductibles!

timPosted - 31 January 2002 2:07 PST
get an optical mouse silly :) they are better and don't get dirty .. unless you bury it in a pile of dirt of course :)
JozsefPosted - 31 January 2002 2:33 PST
Sensitivity 7? okaz, but under which .exe?
I'm asking this becoz dosquake and gl/winquake sensitivities are different. I use 6.5 under GL, but 6.5 under dos is way slower. If i wanna get the same speed under dosquake like the 6.5 under gl, i have to change it like 11.
So, the values are like twice in dosquake compared the win/GLquake ones.
ShamblerPosted - 31 January 2002 3:31 PST
Of course there's jerking in prison!! The alternative is pretty unpalatable after all... (well except for regulars on this forum of course).
MorfansPosted - 31 January 2002 5:25 PST
LOL.

I have to admit that when I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be all about empty toilet paper tubes filled with hand cream, and laying on your arm until it goes dead, etc, etc.

Fr3nPosted - 31 January 2002 7:49 PST
my mouse is always full of HAIR!! I think maybe there are one or two hairs that just refuse to die and no matter where they go, they inevitable spiral back into my mouse like a killer comet.

And this thread still hasn't answered what's up with the frigging demo but I guess it's not important ;P

KenPosted - 31 January 2002 14:41 PST
I dunno how it is now on WinQuake (too lazy to go check), but it was 3 in DOSQuake. :)

We live, as we dream - alone.

VerorberaarPosted - 1 February 2002 7:27 PST
Trackball so ez to clean! (marble mouse//logitech//ownz!)

Hmm that might explain my jerkynesss i use sensitivty 14 in winquake/have shaky hands/joint between myy left hand and trackball//ber betwen my right and keyboard/and trying to have a wank at the same time...sometimes it just all gets a bit to much and my demo's turn out not 100% perfect:))

Fr3nPosted - 1 February 2002 8:40 PST
now I wish I didn't know
minwaterPosted - 3 February 2002 16:56 PST
veror: damn, we really NEED to coop sometime.. ;P
VerorberaarPosted - 4 February 2002 6:08 PST
heh ja lijkt me lachuh!
Topic is 2 Pages Long:    1 2