Released in December 1990, TMNT 2 was based on the successful four player arcade beat 'em up.
However, due to the limitations of the NES, the game is only 2 players and there are no
voices. Like usual, the Turtles set out to rescue April and Splinter, then give Shredder and
Krang a well-deserved beating.
Best time: 0:33:59 by 'Whitman_Price_' on 2013-11-02.
Get Flash to see this player.
Thanks to some people that ran TMNT 2 before me. I learned a lot watching the previous 35:53 SDA run from Frezy_man and a Youtube run from sprocket2005 and an older SDA run from Elliott Feiertag.
I started playing TMNT 2 because it was one of my favorite games as a kid (much better than TMNT 1) and I wanted to see how it was to speedrun. Overall, it is kind of long and repetitive but there are a good amount of enemies and bosses with unique strategies, which was fun to test out. Also, there are many ways to get quicker kills on the foot soldiers and that is where a lot of time was saved. I originally got the record for this game in June, but I wanted to improve it and was able to do that pretty quickly. This run has some pretty stupid mistakes, but it is good overall and I executed most of the main strategies I was looking for, so I am pretty satisfied with this.
Some of the good parts of the run:
- Got triple kills on all of the mousers/wheelers throughout the run.
- Killed Rocksteady with all jumpslashes (not perfect, but very good).
- Dynamite throwing foot soldiers can be rough, but they went pretty well.
- Killed Bebop with all jumpslashes and used new strat to save 2 more seconds.
- Skateboard level was ridiculously good, new strat on helicopters helped me save 6 seconds on my best time ever in that stage.
- Killed the tigers in the dojo stage very quickly, this isn't the quickest possible kill, but landing jumpslashes on them is hard so taking the damage boost backwards is the best way to get these.
- Technodrome was very good overall, I somehow finished the stage 16 seconds faster than my previous best ever time on that stage.
- Shredder fight at the end was very good, I went for quick jump kicks with the real Shredder pinned against the wall. I used to always do slow extended jump kicks on him to avoid getting hit by the clone, but if you get into a good rhythm you can land and jump again before Shredder slashes. The end of the fight was slow, but I just felt like finishing him with a jump slash.
Bad parts of the run:
- Sewer stage was kind of bad and the Baxter fight could have went much faster. I was able to get some super quick kills when practicing on emulator, but never really translated it to my runs.
- Tora fight in the snow level was sloppy. It is easier to hesitate slightly when doing the jump kick loop to ensure that you kick every time, but here I tried to do very tight jump kicks and lost it.
- Fly Baxter fight in the garage level wasn't great. You can't really mash jumpslashes because it will be too quick and you will get hit by his shots. I try to do as short of a delay as possible to ensure that he shoots down, but I jumpslashed too quickly near the end and got hit.
- The scorpions in the dojo were a disaster. I got bad luck that the first 2 spawned on the left side of the screen, but I kept trying to jump slash them, which didn't work. That was a big time loss, but I got lucky that the second set of scorpions went down easily.
- The boss from this stage wasn't great either, but I don't really know how to guarantee that you kill him without letting his head fly off. I only get the quick kill about one-third of the time.
Return to the Game List, the FAQ, or the Home Page.