Released for the SNES and Sega Genesis in April 1996, Toy Story closely follows the events in the movie. Players take on the role of Woody as both he and Buzz try to find a way back home.
Best time with deaths: 0:22:33 by Joe Stanski on 2006-12-24.
Get Flash to see this player.
Here is a nice run through of what I consider a fairly challenging game. I was always drawn to this game because it so closely followed the 'Toy Story' movie plot and characters. The stage variety was also a nice addition (Platforming, Racing, and Wolfenstein 3d all in one game!). The difficulty is not really in line with the target audience, however, as it took me a very long time to beat this game as a kid.
All bonus stages were skipped to save time, I got into 2 of them during the run (when getting 200 stars and 400 stars). Some might not notice that I also gained life stars in a few key points, which I'll point out later.
I would like to thank Nate for his dvd recorder and capturing, and all of the sda staff for all they do to support speed runners.
- 1. That Old Army Game- Straightforward
- 2. Red Alert!- 102 is the best time you can get because Rocky Gibraltar moves at a constant speed. Getting this time isn't as simple as I make it look.
- 3. Ego Check- I take a lot of intentional damage in this level in order to speed things up. As far as I know, you can't complete this level any faster and still have 2 life stars at the end.
- 4. Nightmare Buzz- Getting a hit in on the first round is tough, and I'm glad I got a run of that happening to go to completion. I gain a life star by gathering so many regular stars.
- 5. A Buzz Clip- The RC sucks, period. Those of you who have played this level can sympathize with the absolutely horrid controls it features. I spin out once at the beginning, but the rest is very good.
- 6. Revenge of the Toys- Straightforward, this is the last area that you can gain life stars during a level.
- 7. Run Rex, Run!- Sidescroller'
- 8. Buzz Battle- The hit detection of this boss is absolutely awful, this is by far my best run of this boss I've had. I run underneath in order to manipulate his movements so that he lands faster. I have never been that lucky with the tire tosses actually hitting Buzz.
- 9. Food and Drink- Speedrunning this level and not getting hit are completely mutually exclusive. The fries fall randomly, the people's steps are faster or slower randomly, and the hit detection is awful. I usually take 2 or 3 hits, any more and my run is toast. One hit was really dumb, but the one at the end is virtually unavoidable
- 10. Inside the Claw Machine- Started off missing a few jumps, but recovered to turn this isn't a pretty good run. The first hit I take is avoidable if you duck down at the far right edge of the screen, which I tried to do but not fast enough. The last hit in the level is, again, unavoidable (doesn't that sound familiar').
- 11. Really Inside the Claw Machine- Tried to include some back walking OOT style, but you can't pick up aliens backwards which sucks. 95 is my best, so this time is pretty good. I gain 2 life stars from going through the level so fast, the most life stars you can gain.
- 12. The Claw!- This boss is a real pain, and missing that hit actually sped up the level as the claw didn't have to travel so far. Most runs that got this far were ended by this stupid boss.
- 13. Sid's Workbench- Very nice to only take the 2 hits, as the fireballs move randomly and seem to always get in 2 hits themselves. Being on fire blows, as again the controls suck.
- 14. Battle of the Mutant Toys- Instant suicide, if I don't suicide there is no way I can get through the beginning like that without taking at least 2 hits. Luckily dying is not really a time penalty in this game. Moving up the hooks in this level is finicky, and I am very happy with this level as a whole.
- 15. Roller Bob- Sidescroller, I nearly always take a hit at the point I do in this level (I've only gotten through this level once without taking a hit during real play).
- 16. Day-toy-na- Easiest level ever, but I still manage to slow it down by hitting the grass a little bit.
- 17. Light My Fire- Another RC car level like the first, so that means it really sucks. I go through it very well and just as planned.
- 18. Rocket Man- Very anticlimactic sidescroller, I usually don't take a hit but somehow I managed to in this run.
My goal for this run was sub 23, and because of the excellent boss fights, this was by far the run I had to submit. You can see that a no deaths run by getting through levels 9 and 10 with only 2 hits is possible but very unlikely. The death that occurred was planned due to the fact that this seemed so unlikely to happen (I am lucky to make it out of level 10 alive in 95% of my attempts). Hope you enjoyed this run of one of my favorite childhood games!
Return to the Game List, the FAQ, or the Home Page.