Released in November 1991 by Sammy, Vice: Project Doom was one of the more criminally overlooked games on the NES. The game has it all: creative and superb-quality graphics and music, challenging and fast-paced gameplay, and even competent plot and dialogue. The stages have a great deal of variety as well, featuring platforming, top-down shooter, and rail shooter stages. The actual plot is about an escaped test subject who takes on a host of genetically engineered bad guys and eventually comes face to face with his own demons.
Best time: 0:14:48 by Josh Styger on 2008-06-11.
Get Flash to see this player.
This game is unknown but I don't know why, it's one of the best games for Nes for sure. Vice plays kind of like a Ninja Gaiden, but is even faster. There are 3 different kinds of levels, Platforming, Car shoot em ups, and First person shooter levels. Getting hit in this game is much worse than most other games, as not only does it make you attack slower for a couple seconds, but enemies tend to jump all over you so you're bound to get hit again. This run was done in 4 days and was my second recorded run.
- Stage 1 - Getting the fastest time on the boss requires him to throw both steel beams overhead.
- Stage 2 - I made 1 tiny mistake here that lost about half a second. I didn't switch to the gun and shoot the pumpkin head, but I made a nice recovery so you probably wouldn't even be able to tell it was a mistake. When I was a kid I used a strategy very similar to what you see here on the boss, this ones probably 1-2 seconds faster.
- Stage 5 - Something always goes wrong in this level, could have done the boss a bit faster too.
- Stage 6 - The boss in this level is hard to beat fast consistently, I made a few mistakes.
- Stage 7 - The sewer part of this level is another hard one, mostly cause the giant rats are so fast, jumpy, and even some are random. As for the boss in this level its probably the worst part of my run, he's easy to beat fast but I managed to get hit and waste like 4-5 seconds.
- Stage 8 - The part with the electricity is tough, I did the boss perfectly though which takes very fast swtiching, definitely one of the highlights of the run.
- Stage 9 - The very start of this level was a little rough. For 9-2 I figured out some strategies to slightly improve the time (even the TAS doesn't use one of them) but I found it out after I made this run so they're not used. This boss is tough to do perfectly but I have very good consistency with her and got it in this run.
- Stage 10 - Yeah, I didn't feel like memorizing this level so I just smashed into the wall the whole way until the boss. I tried a untested new strategy on the boss and it didn't work so this fight was a little slow.
- Stage 11 - One of my favourite stages to do in this game. The first form boss is very tough to do fast, it takes very fast switching (much like boss 8) while also standing just in the right spot so that he is tricked into using his laser whip instead of his gun or grenades, I did good but it can be done 2-3 seconds faster. As for the final boss, who liked that awesome grenade throw in the opposite direction? :P
Thanks to :
Josh Ballard for his TAS which I based this speed run off of.
SDA crew: Mike Uyama, Nate, Enhasa, Radix, and DJGrenola.
Return to the Game List, the FAQ, or the Home Page.